Friday, September 08, 2006

Slowly But Surely

It has been two weeks for me now here in New York. It is such a sweet reunion with my friends and distant relatives whom I have not seen for the longest time now.

But their usual question to me is, "Why are you still single?" The question I never fail to get after the kisses, the hugs and some brief updates. I hear it all the time, that it never surprises me anymore. For this, I have a ready answer - a smile. But at the back of my head I refute - Why not?

Yeah, why not? ... This does not necessarily mean that I am unattractive and dull. It just so happens that I have not found the right man yet. Sure, I have my standards. And there's no compromising. I have learned to be careful. For me, engaging into a relationship would mean a partnership for a lifetime. This is for keeps, till death do we part. This is a lifelong commitment. I need to be sure that I am up for it - the good, the bad, the beautiful, the ugly, for richer or for poorer, in sickness and in health. And this being the case, I should not settle for less. Heck, I would be better off alone, than be bound by someone who could only make me and my lifetime miserable. As it is, I am happy with my life now. Why try to complicate it?

Of course there's no denying that I still somehow feel the longingness for some companionship. But I stand firm on my grounds - slowly but surely. I know there is still somebody for me out there. It's just a matter if time. I can wait. Like I once said, patience is bitter but the fruit is sweet. This is not a race. I am not in a hurry. Haste makes waste. Only fools rush in. And again I say, I would be better off alone, than be bound by someone who could only make me and my lifetime miserable.

2 comments:

Edwin said...

haste makes waste.. one of my favorite quotes! i totally agree =)
have u read the book 'finding your one true love?' by bo sanchez. it's a good book, lots of inputs with regards to our dating life. good luck on your upcoming dates ;-)

aryan_av said...

yaa...u r right....its just the matter of time...
i feel that this time (waiting for someone special) is beautiful...makes everything look and feel beautiful.
If u enjoy waiting for him, that means u r already in love..
Keep up this great spirit...