Monday, December 31, 2007

Onward 2008

Today is the last day of 2007. It is the time of the year where I put my world to a momentarily halt. Amidst the silence within me, I look back and reflect how I lived my life in this year that is about to close in a few minutes from now…

And so far, so good. Although nothing significant happened to me this year, but at least I am so glad that no bad thing transpired either. And whilst nothing pretty exciting took place, I believe this silent year is a foundational year - laying the grounds for the best that is yet to come…

What is this best thing to come? I used to have this picture of success in mind, of how I imagine my dream life would become. The vision so picture-perfect that every facet is quite defined even down to the minute detail. Every time I close my eyes I can feel and smell it – as if they were true. But as I open my eyes, reality strikes in and reminds me that it is all but a dream. As I look at my life right now, it is far from where I wanted it to become. Nor do I even see myself inching towards it.

2007 has been a year of reflection, evaluation, and scrutiny of my so-called picture of success. This is the year I have started to draft my alternative plans. This has been a year that I have started to challenge the status quo of my life and some of the instinctive choices I have made. This has been a year of finding my true North.

Exactly a year ago I prophesied “to meet my match made in heaven in 2007.” Hmmm??? Need I say more? Unless my Prince Charming will be delivered at my doorstep any minute by now by a meteor shower – then I would say that my self-declared prophesy has come true!

But wait! As I carefully study my words, I have said “meet”, didn’t I? So which means … Hmmmm… Who are the new people I have met this year???? Oh! Light bulb flashes on. Ting! Ting! Ting! Could it be him? … Or him? … Or him?... Dang! Had I known it, I should have not said “meet” but … I don’t know maybe… relate? Love? Or romance? (Woe! Such a strong word!)

But before I get all excited and jittery, Heart, I rebuke thee. Be still.
What if my “match made in heaven” is not a person, but a vocation, a career-shift, a change of something (like citizenship?), a different calling of some sort? Who knows? …. Well, I am partially open.

Now, at the brink of 2007, the quest for my true North lives on. Sadly, I have not yet defined that “Best Thing” to come. I do not know what exactly that is, nor in what form it will arrive… Neither when it will present itself to me. I am open for anything. Possibilities are endless, even the unexpected.

Just yesterday, a friend challenged me to be more open about taking risks. He warned me that no matter how well I plan my life, not everything would fall perfectly as planned. Well, I agree. Because these plans are all mine, sketched by a finite being whose sights are limited. And above me is a Higher Being, God, Who sees and Who knows everything.

What could be a broken dream, may mean a protection of something that could have been detrimental for me. Or maybe the time is not yet right. While those dreams are pending still – it can mean that God is at work in me, developing my character. I am certain of the Father’s love for me. I know He loves me so much to provide for me nothing but the best. This moment of waiting tells me to be patient towards all that is unsolved in my heart. All good things come to those who patiently wait for the Lord.

Dear God, I lay before you all my plans, my dreams, my aspirations, my heart. Be my Guide, my Light, my Star. Teach me in the way I should go. Direct my footsteps towards Your greater purpose. Amen.

What could be in store for me in 2008? …. Ah!...

From good to great in 2008.”

The Best I have not yet defined, and now the Great? …. Hah! Whatever those are, I know God is with me. He will provide for me a pillar of could by day and a pillar of light by night.

2008, here we come. Bring it on!

1 comments:

BabyPink said...

attagirl, rhy!!! go, go, go for it! :)