Saturday, February 02, 2008

Work Life Balance

.
First week of my work in 2008 and I have already broken my New Year’s resolution to go home from work before 8:00 PM. After one month, the chain continuous.

I am a hard worker. I am told that many are inspired to see the passion I have for my job. I do not do things just for the sake of doing it. Everything I do has got to be of value and of meaning to me. An officemate even once described me as a panther with my ways at work.

Although I just realized today over lunch that at some point my love for my job is leading me towards an unhealthy lifestyle. Thanks to Sherleen who rocked my boat.

Sherleen: How’s your vacation plans?

Me: Umm, there are some requirements I still need to fix and get.

Sherleen: Didn’t you plan to fix them a year ago?

Me: Well, I got no time. Am so busy with work I am left with no choice but to postpone it.
Sigh! It’s always like that. In my calendar, the things that always get to be sacrificed are my personal agenda.


Sherleen: Wait, wait wait… Don’t you think it should be the other way around? It is your life we are talking about. Shouldn’t you manage your LIFE more than your job? Shouldn’t you give more priority to your personal life?

Then there was silence…

Slowly digesting her words, while I slowly sipped on my lemonade, I felt the citric acid gushing through my throat staright to my brains. Working on like a citrus bleach on my clouded, over-worked and rusty-stained brains, I felt illuminated. It is like all this time I was facing a wall which I never knew was there.

I recalled my statement. Hearing myself for the second time, made me ask, “Where was I all these time?” Have I hinged my identity on my work? Do I work to live? Or do I live to work?

As I think about it, I felt I have sacrificed some of the simple things that give me pleasure in order to give way for my work like blogging, reading, crafts, and scrapbooking. But not only that, but even essential personal errands like going to the bank, picking my clothes from the laundry, paying my bills on time and the likes.

Oops! Which reminds me, I need to settle my bills right now before interest rates get higher any further, and until work beckons. Got to go….

0 comments: