Thursday, May 01, 2008

Rolling Stones

Time and time and again, I have always stood by the principle that things happen for a reason. What happened to my brother is indeed a culminating consequence of some wrong decisions and choices he has made. Now, he reaps the result not only of his iniquitous habitual drinking, but even his flawed priorities and erroneous motivations. I am praying that beyond the physical healing, this experience will also restore him emotionally and spiritually.

On the other hand, it is also worthy to note that this experience is not only for my brother. This episode is for all of us in the family. How other family issues surfaced at this very time is no coincidence. The unfolding of one issue to the other serves its reason of revealing the very heart of us – as a family. The snowballing drift of events is clearly a family affair.

There is no doubt in my heart that God will heal my brother – just as He has delivered Lazarus from death. Despite of what the doctor said, nothing is impossible with Jesus. What could be more impossible than raising the dead after four days? I am claiming on God’s healing power over my brother.

However, like the story of Lazarus, before he can truly maximize his healing and enjoy his second chance in life – he needed to come out of the cave. And so, the stone enclosing the cave must be rolled by Lazarus’s family.

Like in our family’s case, we need to roll some stones that could be blocking the flow of miracle in our lives … that could be blocking the flow of love for each other …
I, for one, reflected on myself and identified the stones in my life that I needed to roll… I may have been an obedient daughter, but not necessarily good. I am rolling away the feeling of bitterness, pride and selfishness.

This experience has made me realize of my shortcomings to my family. I am truly sorry for some of the things I said (and did not say), also for some of the things I did (and did not do). No amount of remorse can bring back what has been said and done. Past is past. But it is still never too late for me to make amends. This is a very humbling experience for me. It feels like purging. It is difficult but I must submit. It is a necessary pain.
As for Papa, Mama, Li’l Sis (and Li’l Bro)… it is between them and the Lord. On my last night’s stay in my hometown I shared them this realization. Told them of this peculiar family affair we are going through and the stones we needed to roll.

As for their respective stones, it is not for me to identify for them. Things like these are never imposed. They are best to be discovered, not exposed. I have done my part in triggering and revealing to them what God could be telling us - as a family. Now I can only pray for them, rather, pray for us.

Dear Lord, please give us the strength to face our stones and roll it. Please give us the capacity to be ready to receive Your greater blessing in this family. May Your name be glorified in our lives. Amen.

0 comments: