Tuesday, August 09, 2011

Love Hurts

Have you ever been in love? Horrible isn't it? It makes you so vulnerable. It opens your chest and it opens up your heart and it means that someone can get inside you and mess you up. You build up all these defenses, you build up a whole suit of armor, so that nothing can hurt you, then one average person, no different from any other average men, wanders into your stupid life...You give them a piece of you. They didn't ask for it. But one day, a simple smile, or a soft warm hug, and then your life isn't your own anymore.

Love takes hostages. It gets inside you. It eats you out and leaves you crying in the darkness, so simple a phrase like 'maybe we should be just friends' turns into a glass splinter working its way into your heart. It hurts. Not just in the imagination. Not just in the mind. It's a soul-hurt, a real gets-inside-you-and-rips-you-apart pain. I hate love.

When I met Munchkin, I was afraid to see him;

When I saw him, I was afraid to get to know him;

When I knew him, I was afraid to like him;

When I started liking him, I was afraid to fall for him;

When I fell in love with him, I was afraid to lose him;

Now that I have lost him, I am afraid that I will never see him again...

Maybe this is what they mean when people say “All is fair in love and war”.

Both love and war inflicts great suffering on the other party, whilst at the same time it subjects us of great suffering inflicted upon us.   Both in love and war, we face the prospect of surviving or dying; of killing or being killed.  


To love is to risk not being loved in return.  To hope is to risk pain.  To try is to risk failure, but risk must be taken because the greatest danger in life is to risk nothing.

"To make the journey and not fall deeply in love, well, you haven't lived a life at all. But you have to try, because if you haven't tried, you haven't lived."

0 comments: