Saturday, July 14, 2012

Learning the Art of Letting Go



The night after I blogged about caging Bluebird and finally dared to let go, I could not sleep.  I woke up again in the wee hours of the morning.  I just kept on thinking about what I just wrote.  It took me a lot of courage to write it. Writing about it is a declaration to myself and to the worldwide web (though I doubt if there are many people reading my blog, but I don’t mind) of my decision.  No turning back?

Did I make the right move?  Is it too soon?  So there's no hope anymore?  What if there is still hope? What if I regret it? Questions barraged my mind. 

Stop!  I do not want to think anymore!  And so I filled my mind with silence and prayed and knocked on heaven’s doors for wisdom, affirmation and strength.

As I closed my eyes and placed my palms on to my face, a realization struck me:

Life is short, live it to the fullest.  We only live once, make it a happy life.  After giving all your best, let go of what you cannot change.  MunchK has given you the gift of freedom.  Accept it, unwrap it, use it, maximize it.

But before you can receive that gift, you have to empty yourself.  You have to let go of the things that no longer belong to you, so that you will be able to receive the things that is truly meant for you, the things that you truly deserve, the things that are really worth your time, attention, effort, energy and love.

Letting go does not mean to disconnect yourself.  Letting go is just giving the other person his time, space and freedom.

Letting go is not to care for, but to care about.

Letting go is not trying to change, manipulate, or influence the other person.  Letting go is the realization that he is entitled to make his own decisions in life (even if you think it is wrong), and respecting that decision.

Letting go is not about taking matters in to your hands and leading it to the best outcome possible – according to your views and standards.  Letting go is being supportive and allowing the other person to be master of his own destiny.

Letting go is not being protective.  Letting go is allowing the other person to stumble, fall, and hopefully learn from their mistakes.

Letting go is not about blaming, judging, or criticizing the other person.  Letting go means having full accountability of your own mistakes and shortcomings as well, and learning from them and correcting them.

Letting go is not admitting defeat.  Letting go is the realization that there are just some things outside of your sphere of control, and being humble enough to accept that.

Letting go is not about saving pride and winning the game.  Letting go is learning to be patient and embracing the uncertainties of life, taking each day as it is.

Letting go is not rejecting the other person.  Letting go is celebrating yourself.

Letting go is not giving up hope. Letting go is daring to dream and pursuing the hope for something better.

Letting go is not regretting the past.  Letting go is living the present and developing the future.

Letting go is to fear less, and love more.

When he left, I saw the good in goodbye.  Him.  After everything I went through, I am still thankful for the time I had with him.  Although it was only for a borrowed time, the experience and the memories were truly beautiful, and I know that I could not have experienced it any better with anyone.  But it is all over now.  Time to let go. 

Now, as I try to let go, I see the better in goodbye.  Me.  Hi there, Gorgeous! Time to celebrate myself.  Time to embrace myself.  Time to build new dreams.  Time to build a better version of myself. 

Hopefully in time, I will open my heart anew, and see the best in goodbye… I know I will... Because the best is yet to come.

0 comments: