Tuesday, February 04, 2014

Saying Yes to New Adventures



Where do I begin?  How do I start recounting all the adventures that has gone before me?  In as much as I wanted to blog, time was scarce.  In pursuit of my peace and happiness, I stepped out of my comfortable shell and opened myself to the world around me.  Yes, I pushed myself on the edge and was surprised to discover not a cliff but a new level of living life to the fullest.

Since I moved here in Melbourne I have not fully explored the town.  I have been following a routine template of home-work-church-home-work-church. So during the holiday break, I dared myself to an adventure and explored a bit of what the city has to offer.  Got lost several times, but being lost is part of the adventure.  I discovered few great finds, including free entrance activities and events.  I know there is more that I am yet to discover.  And I aim to further my exploration.  This year, I have given myself a mission to find my perfect coffee place.  So I am setting up myself for a brunch Saturdate with myself.

Then Christmas time, I made an intentional plan of spending it all by myself.  People around me look at me with sympathetic eyes when they heard of my plans and offered their homes to me.  However, I declined and asked them not to wear that worried look on their faces.  This is something I want for myself, even for at least once in my life.  Me-time at Christmas time.  Thanks to my generous sister who gifted me with an overnight stay at a five-star hotel in the CBD, I spent my Christmas time Me-time in syle, sass and luxury.

It was fun being at the heart of CBD on Christmas eve, with people everywhere celebrating the merriment of the season with their families. Couples holding hands and kissing, kids playing and running around, parents doting and running after the kids, ladies doing selfies, and teenagers fiddling on their phones.

It was even more fun – the day after during Christmas day itself.  I purposefully woke up early in the morning to explore the city street.  And what a contrasting scene indeed.   It was like a ghost town.  I had the Federation Square all to myself. 

The serene surroundings gave me the perfect Me-time opportunity. Walking along the tranquil Yarra riverbank, I immersed myself to deep thinking and reflection of how 2013 has been, how life has been and more importantly, how I have become in response the challenges and circumstances brought before me.

I have realized how I have changed as a person.  Surprisingly, I do not feel lonely. I have learned to be content with myself and to living on my own.  For the first time in my life, I am satisfied being single and felt no need for a man in my life. To live a life of independence and free of expectation, to me that is freedom.  This is happiness.

However, before I can even jubilate and dance to the tune of freedom and happiness, I also realized that while I feel happy being left on my own, I know I can even be happier.  And this can only be achieved my stepping out of my comfortable shell.

I was reminded of the verse in Isaiah 43:19 that says, “See I am doing a new thing!  Now it springs up, do you not perceive it? I am making a way in the wilderness and streams in the dessert.”

New things are springing up, I just need to open my eyes wider so I could see it.  I should forget the issues in 2013 and some lingering issues in 2012.  Those chapters are long and gone.  Hello, 2014 – let us start anew and create new adventures.

And so, for the first time in my life I became spontaneous.  Just hours before the New Year's eve, I flew to Bangkok and spent a week of happy, fun, and exciting random days.  I don’t know what got in to me at that point, but I just pushed myself to the edge. I hesitated and almost backed out but the more I felt the urge to back out, the more I pushed myself to move forward.  Everyone was surprised about my spontaneity but the most surprised person was me.

I cannot guarantee that I will be a free-flowing, spontaneous person from now on, however I will be now be more open to embrace new adventures, new possibilities and new experiences in life.

There is more to life than the life that I already know.  I can feel it in my gut.  It is waiting for me…. I have a date with destiny. 

0 comments: